Not much can surprise us when it comes to interface challenges. We can design a decent card, a well-rounded accordion, an accessible modal and an exquisite hamburger navigation. But what if there are slightly more complex UX challenges ahead of us?
Well, complex UI doesn’t have to be complicated. In this workshop with Vitaly Friedman, UX consultant working with the European Parliament, and creative lead behind Smashing Magazine, we’ll dive deep into dissecting how to solve complex design problems. Whether you’re working on a complex nested multi-level navigation or creating enterprise grade tables, this workshop will give you the tools you need to excel at your work.
We’ll take a look at:
– how to improve estimates and governance, define design KPIs and priorities and use the top tasks methodology to prioritize what matters and deoprioritize the rest,
- how to apply design KPIs on scale during a large migration/refactoring project,
- complex mega-dropdowns with 5+ levels of navigation, and how to deal with them on mobile and on desktop (e.g. large university websites),
- complex carousels, modals, “Undo” behavior, with guidelines and best practices to improve click-through rates and decrease mistakes,
- complex multi-page forms, focusing on form components, structure, layout, microcopy and interaction design (e.g. large form wizards),
- advanced sliders, featuring complex insurance and mortgage calculators, common drawbacks and implementation details,
- enterprise tables, with a detailed study of complex data grids, dashboards, input, search and autocomplete UX — on mobile and on desktop,
- complex filtering and sorting, the layout, auto-apply vs. manual apply, filtering overlays, filtering and sorting intervals, on mobile and on desktop,
- enterprise maps for real estate websites and apps, shopping malls, filters-based navigation, theatres, stadiums and sport events,
- infinite scroll, “load more” and pagination, and an overview of options for listing items and interacting with them to speed up user input, finding and managing data,
- authentication patterns, and design considerations for login/password, password recovery, social sign in, 2-factor-auth, biometric input.
- privacy UX, and how to gather accurate data while avoiding legal battles and respecting user’s data,
- 100s of real-life examples, government and university websites, trip planners, financial services, eCommerce, feature comparison tables, online banking, configurators, insurance and mortgage calculators, data grids and enterprise products.
- checklist for complex UIs with guidelines and decisions to consider when designing any component in a complex setting.
By the end of the session, you’ll gain a packed toolbox with practical techniques and strategies for approaching complex UI challenges and tackling them well — plus a collection of real-life examples to apply to your application immediately. You’ll also have time to ask all your questions and have them answered live.